Banos Familia

A place to gather events, ideas and family...all in one place, while we are far away

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Feliz Cumple

It's Grandmom's (or as she is most recently and affectionately called) GG's birthday today.

While it may seem inconsequential to her, for all of us, it is a day of thanks for her presence in our lives. And what a presence.

All my life, I have been so proud to have her as my grandmother--always the most beautiful, always the most sociable and lovely, always the best-dressed, always knowing how to treasure the important things and leave the rest, always for others. If someone asked me when I was younger who I looked up to, or who I respected, I remember never really having a good answer. Don't know why, perhaps I didn't need one then.

Today, if someone asked me the same question, unequivocably, it would be Grandmom. The older I get, the more I hope that I posess somewhere inside me, (through osmosis or perhaps I was lucky enough to receive some of her DNA), even if it is minute, some of the ephemeralness of who she is.

I want to be like her when I grow up.

I want to be able to have strength in spite of pain and sadness, I want to have grace in spite of anger and frustration. I want to have faith instead of doubt. I want to have a youthful spirit and sense of adventure. I want to have a beautiful life of love, family and friends.

Luckily for me, I need not look further than her to find the way to do it. She's been teaching me for the past 31 years.

xo

1 Comments:

At 9:12 PM, Blogger Julie Vaicius said...

Wow, what a beautiful post and so true.
We are all lucky to have GG in our lives.
Happy Birthday Grandmom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home